Saturday, November 1, 2008

2. Halloween & Co.

So yesterday was Halloween and it was a pretty crazy day at school. I dressed as a Hufflepuff student from Hogwarts and most of the kids I work with, being K-1, just called me "Harry Potter". That's cool, at least they got it! Colony 1 has a party for the morning half of the school day where all the paras get a station and the kids spend 8 minutes at each. My station was where they stood in front of a castel backdrop and I took pictures of them in their costumes. It was a rush to get through each group in 8 minutes but it was cool to really be able to ask each kid individually what they were. I think my favorites were H, the girl who's tried to trick me into giving her badges before was Darth Vader. Not only was I thinking yeah badass, you BE that chick that's a guy character and secondly... well I mean, how fitting? Then S, the little guy who's IMPOSSIBLY adorable but who is majorly hyper and ADD was Speed Racer and did a cute thumbs up pose for the photo. That boy is too awesome. There were probably ten clone troopers of various colors and five Anakin Skywalkers. It fills my heart with fluffy, nerdy goodness to see Star Wars still be one of te most popular Halloween themes. Even if they're prequel-related or animated Clone Wars related. It means they'll still be interested enough to check out the original series eventually.

So after lunch it's my job to run to Wal-Mart (still in my costume) and get the photos all printed. Takes me a bit to put them all on a CD-R, in case the digital camera of Colony 1's card is too old for the Kodak machine I like having back-up. So I get there and find that a huge amount of the photos have red eye and all this so I start enhancing them one by one. There ended up being 139 photos to print. Oi. There should really be a mass enhance on those machines. Then it took forever to print each one AND I made both rolls run out of paper. Was a weee bit embarrassing, to say the least. But after spending an hour and a half of my workday at Wal-Mart I hurried back with an hour left in the school day and handed them out in time for us to all glue them to cut out bats to make cards, I guess. Turned out decently!

My brother dressed up as an undead samurai to go trick-or-treating a little bit and then go to a Halloween party with his girlfriend (the undead geisha). It looked pretty sweet, actually, I wish I'd not been taking a nap half the afternoon so I could have helped with his make-up more since I discovered special effects make-up is SO fun to do in costume and make-up class a year ago. I got to help a bit with his hair and touching up some make-up while Jen was doing her own thing. Then once they left the parents and I sat down to watch Speed Racer and they loved it even more than I did, I think! I personally thought it was a fantastic movie, the style's awesome , I don't much care if people said they think it makes their eyes bleed. It's based off a cartoon, an anime, nonetheless so if you keep that in mind, the movie's right on base.



And woo me almost forgetting to blog on day 1 of NaBloPoMo.

2 comments:

Whit said...

That picture thing is really cool to do with the kids! And smart of you to just write the first letter of the names! Hahahaha I would laugh if you forgot to write on the first day.

Meg said...

Yeah it was fun! If a bit crazy. And yeah I stole the initials idea from my teacher-friend Kate who blogs about her students a lot - preserves the privacy and all with it being a public forum, but makes it less confusing to convey a story. Plus, I have a feeling S and H will come up a lot.

And shuddup. D: